Sunday, August 21, 2011

89 days until Chicago

Just less than 13 weeks and time is really flying.   The last 7 weeks have been really great:   no injuries, no major sickness, and perhaps the best seven week stretch of training in my life....

Sunday, August 22, 2011

..... time to finish this entry, which was started 6 weeks ago....

49 Days until Chicago:


"Champions are made from something they have deep inside them, a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. 

But the will must be stronger than the skill.

-Muhammad Ali


Now there are 7 weeks until Chicago.   Now I can say that the last 13 weeks have been really great:   no injuries, no major sickness, and without a doubt the best thirteen week stretch of training in my life.   I have 786 miles in the last 8 weeks(98 miles/week), 1044 in the last 11(95 miles/week), and 1196 in the last 13(92 miles/week).   After numerous positive workouts, perhaps the best indication of fitness is 44 sec PR in the Alaska 10K Classic.   One year ago, on the exact same course, I ran 32:13.   This year, in a great race with Micah Chelimo and David Kiplagat, I ran 30:34.   Through 5 miles we were at 24:10.   All this is great.   The mantra, though, has to be: "no injuries, no major sicknesses".

Examining the past 3 months, my volume is significantly higher than it has ever been.   Before this cycle, I had logged two 100+ mile weeks.  Ever.   I had logged maybe six or seven 90+ mile weeks.   Ever.  I really believe that one of the largest obstacles a serious runner has to deal with is the "increase" in volume.   The bumps along the road are so much bigger when you're running up hill.  Once you are there.... let the good times roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment